Monday, December 07, 2009

Japan, December 7th, 2009

Today marks the 68th anniversary of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.


While every year I take notice of December 7 and what it means to America, being in Japan on this historic date has made me stop to think just a little more more about the significance of the Japan-America dynamic. 


I'm told it's not polite to bring up World War II and that era, so I haven't asked. I wonder, however, how the date is thought of among the Japanese. Is December 7 significant? Is the date one of nostalgia, or is it one of embarrassment, or none of these things at all?


More importantly, I think about Japan then--our enemy--and now--our ally, and then I look at the friends I've made and many gracious people I've met here and I wonder: Will my children ever have the opportunity to visit and call the people of Iraq, Iran or Afghanistan "friend"?

1 comment:

Elaine said...

I like this blog- it's great to get a real life moment within another country under another perspective of what you've always experienced as 'the norm' but now is the new norm for you. As far as that last part, I doubt that will ever happen considering that part of the world has been fighting amongst each other for centuries and will probably be fighting for centuries yet to come...sad but true.